diald and on demand dialing

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Dec 3 23:57:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 03:10:55PM +0100, Juan Lupion wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that good old 'diald' is not being included in any package
> repository.  Is it because there is another way of doing on-demand
> dialing for a
> PPP connection that I am not aware of?
>
> On the same subject, can the standard PPP dialers included in FC1
> restablish
> the link if it goes down?

I've used diald in the past, but not now.

I'd say that diald is VASTLY more flexible than is hte on-demand dial
feature of PPP. You have a lot more control over which types of traffic
count as far as bringing up the link and which count as far as the idle
time calculation.

it's also probably harder to set up, but that probably goes with the
added flexibility.

Now I'm using a smoothwall firewall, and it just uses the on demand
dial feature of ppp. I'd not mind if it used diald, but it doesn't.

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."