Installed with disastrous results

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Thu Dec 4 02:09:51 UTC 2003

Seems to me you were installin the mbr into the 1st hard disk. (which is
your Windows I suspect) If I understand correctly, you had grub installed
into /dev/hda (this is windows right?) and then you're trying to boot into
/dev/hdb3 (which is FC1). But in placing grub into /dev/hda you are wiping
away your windows mbr which is why you can't boot into windows. (do you see
the windows boot loader or do you see grub once you boot up?) Based on your
grub settings, I suspect that's what happened.. Somehow grub wasn't
installed right. (I had that problem too.. though I thought it was because I
had 2 grubs, one in /dev/hda5(FC1) and another in /dev/hda7(RH9), used
knoppix to grub-install over it again.

Try booting into your FC install CD and type "linux rescue" at the prompt
then do a

#/sbin/grub-install --root-directory=/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7
								^^^^ this is
where FC mounted your RH directory. may be different from mine. (since I use
Knoppix) I think it's /mnt/sysimage/hda7???