printing to a network printer

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Dec 4 02:14:07 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 08:16:02PM -0500, James Drabb wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 23:07, Don wrote:
> > I did a clean install of FC1 and need to run it on an otherwise all
> > MSWindows network....
> >
> > I tried to set up a network printer (HP LaserJet 5Si) in two ways, with
> > no success.
> >
> > First as a JetDirect printer (this is how I have it set from my windows
> > machine and it works fine.)

You should be able to configure it as a "Unix" or "lpd" printer. The
JetDirect software in any modern LaserJet emulates a unix lpd print
system. use the queuename "raw". Specify the printer's IP address.
Voila!

> > I can ping the printer ok, so the connection is there, but when I try to
> > print a test page, I get a blank sheet with a single line drawn across
> > the top. (I'm using the recommended driver (hp5gray, if I recall
> > correctly.)
> >
> > So, I thought I would try defining the printer as a "Networked Windows
> > (SMB) Printer" (That's how most people in our office use it, I just like
> > to be different :-) The list of hosts on the network was displayed, but
> > I could not see any of the "shares" in order to see the printer I wanted
> > to select.

Nah, not the right way to go. It should work, as long as the printer is
shared by a windoze box, but why not print directly to it instead?

> > At no point did I have to log on to the network, which sort of surprised
> > me... maube that's why I can see the machines, but nothing ON those
> > machines is visible.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Don
>
> Did you install the hpijs package?  This is from HP to work with their
> printers.  I am able to print to several HP 4050N laser printers over
> JetDirect and a few color laser Tektronic printers.  Make sure you have
> the hpijs RPM installed and then try to add the printer again.  From the
> printer selection, make sure you choose HP and then look for your model
> in the list.

Which printer driver to use is a somewhat separate issue from how to
define it in the print spooler.

Once you've got the spooler defined and chosen the printr type then
you get to pick the driver. I'd suggest visiting linuxprinting.org to
see what they say about which driver is best. I see a note there from
a user saying the hpijs driver is waaaaaaay slow.