LVM

Baker, Brendon BBaker at fnb.co.za
Thu Dec 4 07:14:11 UTC 2003

Hi Everyone

I have a old IBM server 320. I need to create a volume group as there is not
enough space to perform upgrades etc.
As I can only only do a text install and you cannot create Logical Volumes
in the text install, i have installed the OS on one of the 2 gig drives in
the machine. I then go about trying to create an LVM etc. (Please remember
that these are SCSI drives)
I manage to create a volume group on the remaining 2 drives and then create
a logical volume on these. I then mount this as an ext3 and copy the entire
os over using find / -xdev | cpio -pvmd /mnt
This all works fine. I then run lvmcreate_initrd to create a new ramdisk. I
go to my boot which is on a different partition and edit grub.conf so that
it reflects the ramdisk and i change the kernel parameter to point to the
logical volume ie. /dev/vg1/root
I also edit the fstab so that the /dev/vg1/root is mounted as /.
I then reboot and get the following error:
vgscan -- no volume groups found
VFS: Cannot open root device "vg1/root" or 00:00
Kernel panic

When I boot this ramdisk I don't see it loading the SCSI modules anywhere.
I'm sure this has something to do with this. How does the ramdisk store the
modules for this?

Please help. This is very frustrating and very urgent. I am not sure what
I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
Brendon

The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of the author and not those
of the FirstRand Banking Group or its management.  The information in this e-mail is confidential
and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or
omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrity of information and data
transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, no liability or
responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information or data is, for whatever reason, corrupted
or does not reach its intended destination.