Anyone doing authenticated LDAP binds using PHP 4.3.3-6?

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Thu Dec 4 10:55:06 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:36:57PM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Is anyone doing authenticated binds to an LDAP (package
> openldap-servers-2.1.22-8) server as follows:
>
> php-4.3.3-6, php-devel*, phpdomxml*, php-ldap* and php-odbc* are installed
>
> bind is being done via the php ldap_bind function in an html document
>
> the bind is to the root DN and using the rootpw so you can modify a
> specific entry.
>
> I'm doing exactly this and getting the following error:
>
> Warning: ldap_bind(): Unable to bind to server: Inappropriate
> authentication in .... on line 20
>
> When I use the command line ldapmodify tool and this same root DN and
> rootpw, I can bind successfully and add/modify attributes for the entry
> of interest.
>
> The same php script, modified only for the root DN, rootpw, and server
> name, runs to a normal completion on a second machine which has Joe
> Orton's php-4.3.4-1.1 "testing" packages installed.

When you say "modified only for...", that means you are using a
different DN/rootpw for the two scripts?  That error is a "bad password"
error AFAICT.  There are no significant changes in the ldap extension
between 4.3.3 and 4.3.4, looking at the source.  Thanks for testing the
packages out!

Regards,

joe