avoid nvidia?

Allan Metts ametts2 at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 4 14:30:53 UTC 2003

At 08:46 AM 12/4/2003, you wrote:

>Could this be an Inspiron 5150?  I had a similar disease - most bizarre
>horizontal juddering on the external monitor.  I believe it is a problem with
>the Dell BIOS not initing the second head properly.  Workaround is to do
>Alt-F8 DURING TEXT MODE BOOT - before the entry to the graphical bootscreen.
>Let it come up on the external monitor, then you can use twinview fine.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the suggestion -- this is indeed a Dell, but it's a Latitude
something-or-other.

I'm booting into RunLevel 3 these days.  I'm pretty sure I tried starting
out in text mode with the second display, and then bringing up X afterwards
-- I'll try it again as soon as I get over my "too lazy to find a video
cable" syndrome.

I'm assuming you meant "Fn-F8", not "Alt-F8"?

A----