Samba 3.0 problems with Win98 SE

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Thu Dec 4 15:41:55 UTC 2003

> Dear all,
>
> I want to share my /home dir with Win98SE. But i am having password
> problems. I am absolutely certain that i typed the correct password but i
> cannot get in. It used to work with RH7.3.
> BTW: What happened to SWAT? The Samba server configuration tool is nothing
> compared to the thingie we have now.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeroen.

Before Windows NT, passwords were passed across the wire "in the clear", or
non-encrypted.  All M$ OS's since NT have encrypted their passwords when
passed over the wire, or at least, something that M$ claims is encryption.

Because of this, Samba (IIRC) defaults to expecting the passwords to be
encrypted when it receives them.  If your home Win98 machine is the only one
that will access this machine, and it's not on the internet, then you could
tell Samba to not encrypt the passwords.  (I can't remember exactly how, but
it's in the samba configuration file.)

On the other hand, if you want to use other OS's also, or your machine is on
the internet, I'd suggest an alternative.  If I remember correctly, there
was a patch that you could download for Win98SE that would encrypt the
password over the wire, for use with WinNT domain controllers.  You might
find it on Google.

HTH,

Ben