Webmin with Fedora

David Utidjian utidjian at remarque.org
Thu Dec 4 18:31:14 UTC 2003

WA9ALS - John wrote:
> I had Webmin working with RH8, but can't get it going with FC1.  I've tried
> installing webmin-1.121.1.noarch.rpm file with the GUI package manager - It
> seemed to never finish - ie no usual message about how it will be on port
> 10000 and using the root acct.
>
> Then I tried again using their suggested command of rpm -U
> webmin-1.121.1.noarch.rpm.  That appeared to work - It said it installed and
> gave the expected message about port number and root account.  It said "You
> may now login to domainname:10000 etc.  However, it doesn't work.

I just tried it... and it works. I didn't try your method. Instead I
grabbed the source RPM from:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin-1.121-1.src.rpm

After that I did (as root):

rpmbuild --rebuild webmin-1.121-1.src.rpm

It built fine and wrote the RPM to:

/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch/webmin-1.121-1.noarch.rpm

I then installed it with:

rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch/webmin-1.121-1.noarch.rpm

It installed fine and finished with the message:

Webmin install complete. You can now login to
http://plug.mydomain.org:10000/
as root with your root password.

To check to see if it is running do:

service webmin status

I got:

Webmin (pid 29413) is running

Then I just pointed my web browser to http://plug.mydomain.org:10000/
and logged in. It works.

Note: You may have to check whether your web browser is pointing to a
proxy server. If it is you may have to unconfigure that to access webmin
on your local machine or a machine on your subnet. Squid seems to have
some issues with webmin sometimes.

> Could someone give me some clues where to look?  I have the port open in my
> firewall, and as I said, I've had it working before - has to be something
> simple....  ;-)  THANKS   - John

Hope that helps.

-DU-...etc...