why sendmail and not postfix?

David Kistner fedora at trustjesus.org
Thu Dec 4 19:37:14 UTC 2003

Fulvio wrote:

>qmail is fantastic. Postfix is simple to configure
>

>>Fulvio wrote:
>>

>>>why sendmail and not postfix?
>>>

>>>--
>>>

>>qmail works very well on Fedora.  My Fedora/qmail mail server has been
>>running for a few weeks now and performs well.
>>

>>--
>>

>--

I'm a newbie at running my own mail server (and pretty new to Linux).  I
really liked the Fedora/qmail combination due to the strong help
available through their respective lists/newsgroups.  I realize that
qmail is not open source but it is free.  It is easy to use.  I'm told
that it is highly secure.  I was just looking for something easy to use
with Fedora.  There is an outstanding helpful web site called "Life With
Qmail" at http://lifewithqmail.org/ that I used for help.  I also picked
up a great "how to" book for administration called "The qmail Handbook"
by Dave Sill that is really handy.  When I've had newbie questions I
posted them on the list/newsgroup site and more than once the author of
the book, Dave Sill, personally took the time to answer my questions --
I'd never experienced anything quite like that before -- it was better
than any level of "paid support" I've ever encountered with any Windows
based products.   Dave Sill's site describes the license situation as
follows:

"The bottom line is that you *can* use /qmail/ for any purpose, you can
redistribute /unmodified/ /qmail/ source distributions and qualifying
/var-qmail/ binary distributions, and you can distribute patches to
/qmail/. You *can't* distribute modified /qmail/ source code or
non-/var-qmail/ binary distributions."

That seemed good enough for my situation although open source would be
better.  I'm sure all of the mail servers discussed here today are
exceptional.  I just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in on my personal
experience with qmail.