xcdroast and HP writer

Glenn gsimpson at mountaincable.net
Fri Dec 5 01:52:49 UTC 2003

Wolfgang Gill wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:17:23 -0500, Glenn wrote
>
>>I have an HP 9500 CD writer that working fine in RH 7, 8 and 9 but
>>Fedora only recognizes it as a reader.  The scanbus identifies the
>>writer correctly and the config file shows the correct device, etc.
>>
>>cdrecord does not exhibit any of this issue.  I have used xcdroast
>>-d10 and the result indicates that xcdroast to detect the HP writer
>>and thus defaults to assuming it is a reader ONLY.
>>
>>Anybody had a similiar experience?
>>
>>--
>>Glenn Simpson VE3DSP
>>Hamilton, Ont
>>email: gsimpson at mountaincable.net
>
> [snip]
>
> I'm not sure if this will help you. But do you have the 'hdc=ide-scsi' on your
> kernel loading command line. From what I understand, is that Xcdroast and
> other CD buring software no longer require this, as they are able to access
> the drive directly via IDE, but I have configured my system this way (Fedora
> did not set this up by default, where RH9 did). So maybe this is why Xcdroast
> doesn't see you CD-ROM drive as a burner.
>
> Wolf
>
> --
> Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)

Thanks Wolf for the comment.

I did remove the scsi option in the grub boot config and tried the
action again. I caused setup to scan the device again. This time config
showed I was using an ATAPI device and it recognized the HP drive as a
reader/writer :-)

I saved that config.
xcdroast warned that an ATAPI device would be very slow and that I
should consider using a SCSI config.

I then restored the option in the boot config and rebooted the host.

When the system was up, I again went to xcdroast setup, and rescanned
the device.  This time is simply indicated a device at 0,0,0 (correct
values.  I check the CD drive and everything was still in reader/writer
mode.  Again I saved the xcdroast config.  Did a couple checks with a CD
and all seems 100%.

Not sure what got cleared up, but it is working now.

Thanks Wolf.

Glenn
--
Glenn Simpson VE3DSP