why sendmail and not postfix?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Dec 5 02:54:54 UTC 2003

Am Do, den 04.12.2003 schrieb Brian Fahrlander um 19:09:
> On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 05:09, Fulvio wrote:
> > why sendmail and not postfix?

[ snip ]

>     3. Redhat/Fedora makes the important step of disabling Sendmail by
> way of the daemon-line so you don't set it up without configuring it and
> becoming your town's main hub of spam.  Change "127.0.0.1" to the IP
> address it's listening on, restart it, and you're ready to go.

Well, better do it not this way as it will stop sendmail from listening
on localhost. Either disable this daemon binding by putting a "dnl" in
front of the line so sendmail will listen on all devices and IPs or put
there an additional line with just another IP on which sendmail shall
listen. You can put there as many daemon options lines as you want/need.

>     I, too, used to think Sendmail was merely complicated and not worth
> the trouble, but it can do a lot of neat things...and it's older than
> Bill Gates....AND me.  And it works.
>
>     Enjoy.

Alexander

--