why sendmail and not postfix? (SMTP_AUTH branch)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Fri Dec 5 03:27:49 UTC 2003

Am Fr, den 05.12.2003 schrieb Rodolfo J. Paiz um 03:11:

> Building certificates is not in my HOWTO since I have simply not had the
> time to try to learn it and figure it out well enough to explain it. I'll
> happily give credit in the HOWTO for someone who explains this to me well
> enough so I can write the section on using secure mail transport. Any help
> welcome!

It's very easy in this case.

dnl #
dnl # Rudimentary information on creating certificates for sendmail TLS:
dnl #     make -C /usr/share/ssl/certs usage
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (try it to know more about
                                             building certs in general)
dnl #

So we comment out (remove dnl) the following lines

define(`confCACERT_PATH',`/usr/share/ssl/certs')
define(`confCACERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt')
define(`confSERVER_CERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')
define(`confSERVER_KEY',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')

ssl/certs and ca-bundle.crt are are already there, so we only need to

# make -C /usr/share/ssl/certs sendmail.pem

and answere some questions.

Start Evolution, Email-Settings -> SMTP -> localhost -> use SSL: Always
-> Test, and see the new cert popping up. :-)

If you want to force tls use

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl

(already there, remove dnl)

You are done, your passwords will now be handelt encrypted.

All in all very easy.

BTW: So I don't understand the postfix vs. sendmail discussions. If
sendmail is default, i'll use sendmail (yes, I also have exim on another
box), i don't care for only 4 or 5 mailboxes. Works fine here.

Christoph