removed mp3 support in media players in fedora core 1

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Fri Dec 5 06:11:30 UTC 2003

Trevor Smith wrote:
> OK, wait a minute...
>
> There is no *legal* way to listen to MP3s in Linux? There is no free
> player?

As a post script, I wanted to clarify my last post by pointing out that
there isn't so much a legal limitation on listening or decoding mp3's on
Linux as there is a lack of software which can be legally redistributed
by Fedora / Red Hat for that task.  You can download GPL'd MP3 players
from the authors of that software, but you will not have a valid license
to restribute that software if you're in a location affected by
Thompson's patents.