slow data transfer over nfs ... is it fedora?

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Dec 5 13:58:30 UTC 2003

Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> writes:

> While benchmarking the other transfer methods you mentioned.
> Particularly ssh and smb.  I'll answer this part now.

Here is some more info.  I'm seeing horrible performance in every
type tranfer I've tried.  Must be some basic networking problem at
fault.
scp 'ing the same 169MB
time scp -r  News/agent/nntp/enews* exp:/

   <I ^C ed it finally ... saw many `stalled' messages
real    50m35.984s  <== still had not finished (only 116MB had been transfered)
user    0m1.260s
sys     0m2.420s

Trying an smb put of 25MB I get a timeout after only a few thousand
bytes are transferred:

  smb: \> put enews.tar.gz
putting file enews.tar.gz as \enews.tar.gz Error writing file: Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds
Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds closing remote file \enews.tar.gz
smb: \> Segmentation fault