Please Add Nvidia install info to FAQ [WAS Re: FC1 & NVIDIAaccelerated drivers.]

Michael Smith operalover_99 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 15:29:56 UTC 2003

--- "Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin at weiss.name> wrote:

> I don't think that it's so much an issue os Fedora
> having to support them,
> as it is a sharing of knowledge by other Fedora
> users who have figured out
> how to make the most popular video chipset in the
> world work with the OS.

Ben,
First of all, I agree that sharing knowledge is what
this list is all about - at least that's why I joined.
As far as nVidia is concerned, be aware that the
opensource drivers in Fedora should work quite well
with your video card - as long as you do not actually
need high speed 3D graphics. That is, if you are not
wanting to run 3D games or do molecular modeling.
I used to have an nVidia card, and I too, wondered why
there were not good 3D drivers for it in linux, but
there is a very good reason: the nVidia company will
not release the source code for their drivers, so the
Fedora developers cannot write them into the code.
The bottom line is: don't be scared off by the nVidia
controversy, give Fedora a try - 2D applications will
do just fine.

Mike Smith,
-now happy with ATI -