slow data transfer over nfs ... is it fedora?

Bob Arendt rda at rincon.com
Fri Dec 5 21:49:49 UTC 2003

Harry Putnam wrote:
>  # mii-tool
>    root # mii-tool
>   eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-HD, link ok
>   eth1: no link
>
>  # ethtool eth0
>    Settings for eth0:
>         Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
>         Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>         Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>         Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>         Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>         Speed: 100Mb/s
>         Duplex: Half
>         Port: Twisted Pair
>         PHYAD: 1
>         Transceiver: internal
>         Auto-negotiation: on
>         Supports Wake-on: puag
>         Wake-on: g
>         Link detected: yes

The "-HD" = Half duplex = kiss of death for speed.  This usually
indicates either a bad cable or an incorrectly configured network
box.  We'd had problems with DEC/Compaq AlphaStations in this regard.
The solution was generally to configure your network box and/or workstation
to 100baseT/Full and *don't* let it autonegotiate.

Hope this helps
-Bob Arendt