A good news story: Fedora on Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300...

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Dec 6 21:13:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 11:24, Brad wrote:
> I have just purchased a used Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 notebook and with
> significant trepidation installed Win2K for my wife and then Fedora for me,
> with a view to setting it up as dual-boot.
>
> As I didn't get the original installation CD with the notebook, I had to find
> and download all of the Windows drivers to get everything working. This was a
> lengthy but relatively simple process once I had found the software on the
> WWW.
>
> I then started the Fedora install with 3 the CDs. Fedora detected everything
> on the notebook, defaulted to 1024 x 768 with millions of colours, installed
> Win2K in the grub boot screen and just... well... worked!
>
> I am SO impressed by this and it has been a great pleasure *finally* getting a
> Linux notebook, and not having to use Windoze any more.
>
> Now I just have to get my wife onto Fedora and it will be a consummate
> victory.
>
> :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Brad

Congrats!

I actually had a similar situation with my wife.  She was just used to
MS Windows, there was nothing about it that she actually needed.  So I
just set up her Linux desktop with all the icons and things she would
need.  Open Office, Mozilla, gThumb, printing, etc.  I put a few folders
on her desktop for images and her music and put a Documents folder in
her ~ for her to put all her stuff in.  Now she actually like Linux more
then MS Windows and is used to it.

Just get her to agree to use Fedora for one week.  Set everything up for
her, and I bet she wouldn't know the difference.

Jim Drabb
--
James Drabb
Senior Programmer Analyst