Breaking out of Graphical Mode?

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Sun Dec 7 14:52:51 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 01:39, Nick Wilson wrote:

> If the x server is going screwey how do I break out of graphical mode? -
> "ctrl alt backspace" does not seem to work?

What do you mean by "screwey" exactly?  If you mean that it completely
probably at the point where you can't do much unless you hook up a
serial terminal, or SSH/telnet into the box and manually kill off the X
process.

<ctrl>+<alt>+<F1> switches you to a console prompt.  That might be what
you're looking for.  Hmmm...if your graphical mode keeps trying to load
but fails and goes into what seems like an infinite loop of trying to
load, then give it at least a couple of minutes and it'll usually start
too fast which will cause it to be stopped for a couple minutes.  Once
it stops you can then get to a prompt to login and change runlevels
(telinit 3) to fix the problem.  If graphical restart seems to not
respawn too fast then you might have to restart and do something like
add a kernel option of "single" to get to a console.  Anyway, not sure
what your problem is exactly.  Cheers,

Daniel

--
Daniel Hedlund