Breaking out of Graphical Mode?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Dec 7 17:28:55 UTC 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 02:55:34PM -0000, Thierry wrote:
> Try CTRL+ALT+<F-key> it will drop you to a shell prompt
> Cheers

The OP's description sounds like X is trying to start and failing, then
trying again and...

In that case I don't think you can get to and STAY at a text console
by doing CTRL0-ALT-Fn.

If neither that nor ctrl-bkspace works, all I can think of is to reboot
it, and at the lilo or grub prompt tell it to boot into single-user mode
so you can try to troubleshoot it.