Installing Macromedia Flash

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Mon Dec 8 01:31:36 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 12:21, Charles Layno wrote:
> I am trying to install Macromedia Flash in FC1 as a plugin for Mozilla.
>
> The install is asking:
>
> Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
> or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib/mozilla
>
> WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.
>
> I have entered the default I have entered lots of things but it keeps telling
> me to enter a valid installation path. What is the correct installation path?

My recommendation would be to go and grab the Flash RPM, and not try to
install it from .tar.gz or .tar.bz2.
http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/site_ucsc.html

They have an RPM specifically for Fedora Core 1.  I believe it needs
compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.118.i386.rpm, which you can get off the Fedora
installation CD 3, or do 'yum install compat-libstdc++'.

Once you do that, go:
rpm -ivh  flash-plugin-6.0.79-2.i386.rpm
or, if you haven't downloaded it already:
http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/apt/fedora/1/RPMS.macromedia/flash-plugin-6.0.79-2.i386.rpm

...everything else should take care of itself (brings up a license
agreement and installs itself).  Cheers,

Daniel

--
Daniel Hedlund
daniel at digitree.org