Why Xserver dies after changing from init 5 to init 3

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Dec 9 01:20:13 UTC 2003

Tsikadillo wrote:
> The question is why my  xserver dies when i tried to change my init from
> 5 to 3 and when i tried to reactivate the xserver i received a message
> XIO error 104 (Connection reset by peer ) on X server ":0.0"
> after 0 requests (0 known processes) with 0 events remaining .
>
> I had no errors of type (EE) , but the following messages before the
> last I wrote :
>
> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
>
> also : Fatal server error
> could not open default font 'fixed'
> Thanks for the help
> If this is a bug please inform me via e-mail and  for  any potential way
> to fix it !!!!

Make sure xfs (X font server) is running before starting the X server:

	/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start

It should be started in run level 5 as "S90xfs".  Also make sure your
transitions from run level 5 to 3 and back are done via "telinit 3" and
"telinit 5".
-  Animal testing is futile.  They always get nervous and give the   -
-                             wrong answers                          -