Question about connecting to the net through a winxp machine

Mike Lyman mlyman-linux at comcast.net
Tue Dec 9 05:19:57 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 23:13, Sponger wrote:
> How the hell do I do this?  I have the xp machine setup with two nics,
> one for the broadband, the other for the network, and I have the
> fedora machine setup with a static IP and a gateway address of the
> network address of the xp machine.  What am I missing?

Turn on WinXP's Internet Connection Firewall and Internet Connection
sharing on the external nic. Turning on ICS will establish a DHCP server
on the internal nic. From there you have your linux system either pick
up an IP via DHCP or set the static IP to something in whatever range
WinXP is serving up and the default gateway to the IP of the XP systems
internal nic.

If you need help search for internet connection sharing and internet
connection firewall in the XP help system.

--
Mike Lyman <mlyman-linux at comcast.net>