grub hangs on a pure SCSI system when adding a new hdd

Mick Mearns off_by_1 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 07:42:00 UTC 2003

--- Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net> wrote:
> Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
>
> > i ran into the following problem. On a pure SCSI system (2940UW PCI
> > card) i was running Fedora Core 1 with no problems, until i tried
> to put another hdd on the system.
>
> > I configured my SCSI bios in order to boot from the proper hdd
> (i.e. the one with grub installed), but system can't boot. I only see
> >'GRUB' and then system hangs. The new disk is good and working on
the > >same adapter.
> > Any idea?

Hi;
  I use tomsrtbt floppy to see what (if anything) it sees.
That is it will 'see' /dev/sda and /dev/sdb
This wil tell you what physical drives it found and tell you what order
they are in.

Grub uses the file /boot/grub/device.map:
[root at athlon root]# cat /boot/grub/*.map
# this device map was generated by anaconda
(fd0)     /dev/fd0
(hd0)     /dev/hda
(hd1)     /dev/hdb

Then grub.conf uses hd0, hd1:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd1,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdc3
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
password --md5 $1$6zgg2t6d$dcUGtCPZo9VS6zyEeMnMp/

title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
rhgb hdd=ide-scsi vga=788 nohlt
        initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img

title Micro$haft Winblows 98
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

These are my non-scsi systems files, but you get the idea.
You can boot your CD into rescue mode and see these files.

I have had problems with the 'root=LABEL=/ " line.
I have small drives so I tend to move drives around from box to box.
You end up with duplicate lables.
Edit grub.conf to point at the actual disk e.g "root=/dev/hdb3"

Then once its up remove the labels:
[root at athlon root]# e2label /dev/hdb1
/boot
[root at athlon root]# e2label /dev/hdb3
/

With  e2label /dev/XXX ""  the empty quotes write a blank label.
Of course the XXX would be hdb1 or hdb3 for the above.

My scsi box is not on the web, if the above is not clear let me know.
Then I will fire it up and get you the info.

Mick M.