set no password in a fedora user

Corné Beerse cbeerse at lycos.nl
Tue Dec 9 13:15:10 UTC 2003

Rafa Quintanilla wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using fedora and set two more users, one of them
> my wife. I tried to leave her password blank, but
> fedora wouldn't admit that (altho I have it so in MDK
> 9.2, in the same hard disk). Does anyone know if that
> is possible? How?

It somehow depends on your security settings. The unix default is to remove the
(encrypted) password from the password file. Use `vipw` to edit the password
file! It adds some checks to force a sane password file and after you close the
password file, it opens the shadow-password file if aplicable.

If the password field in the password file does not contain an encrypted
password but a sinlge character, like a 'x' or such, then you can try to remove
that. Otherwise, remove the encrypted password from the shadow-password file,
which opens automatically after you close the (edited) password file.

btw: `vipw` uses `vi` or `vim` by default. If you set the environment variable
"EDITOR" to your favorite editor, then it uses that:
# setenv EDITOR nedit
or
# set EDITOR=nedit; export EDITOR

Be noted, you can directly edit the password file (/etc/passwd) or the shadow
password file (/etc/shadow ??) but if it gets corrupted, you cannot login
anymore and most likely need to reinstall the entire system... The `vipw` tool
checks the validity of the /etc/password file.

CBee