postgres: import of previous dump fails

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Dec 9 23:17:15 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 02:35:11PM -0500, Edward Croft wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 13:54, Charles Curley wrote:
> > I have been backing up my postgresql system with:
> >
> > pg_dumpall >> ${NEW}
> >
> > I now find that it will not import into postgresql on Fedora Core
> > 1. The new version is postgresql-7.3.4-2, the old version is
> > 7.2.3. When I try to import the old dump as user postgres, I see the
> > following:

> First off, check to be sure that identd service is running on your
> machine. Second, be sure that there is a user named ccurley on the box.

To answer the second, yes, there was.

On the first, I installed and ran identd out of the box. It may be
required, but was not sufficient. What finally let me load my dump
file was editing the access permission in pg_hba.conf. I changed it
(temporarily) from

local  all 	all		ident   sameuser

local   all     all     trust

The latter is wide open and disable requiring passwords. The problem
was that no password was provided in the dump file.

Once I get everything working, I'll come back and see if I can use
even tighter permissions. This is not a high risk box, nor are any of
the data on it all that valuable, or I'd do so immediately.