Shutdown not working

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Dec 10 01:19:28 UTC 2003

Salvio wrote:
> I'm referring to the gnome panel.
>
> Regardless of the definition found in the man page, when a
> user selects "shut down" from the gnome panel my guess is
> that the computer should power down, i.e. shutdown -h now
>

> Thoughts?

I agree.  It's weird, but my Fedora box's shutdown stuff for Gnome
is commented out:

(partial display of /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf follows)

# Reboot, Halt and suspend commands, you can add different commands
# separated by a semicolon and gdm will use the first one it can find
#RebootCommand=/usr/bin/reboot;/sbin/reboot;/sbin/shutdown -r
now;/usr/sbin/shutdown -r now
#HaltCommand=/usr/bin/poweroff;/sbin/poweroff;/sbin/shutdown -h
now;/usr/sbin/shutdown -h now

As the comment says, RebootCommand and HaltCommand will use the first
command in the list it can find.  I suppose they could be uncommented
and X restarted to see what happens.  If uncommented, those are what RH9
uses.

As I said...weird!

> Graham Campbell wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 17:47, Salvio wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> connecting (via ssh) to a remote machine I have:
>>>
>>> ---
>>> login as: root
>>> Sent username "root"
>>> root at 192.168.0.111's password:
>>> Last login: Tue Dec  9 17:32:31 2003 from 192.168.0.110
>>> [root at localhost root]# shutdown now
>>>
>>> Broadcast message from root (pts/1) (Tue Dec  9 17:37:38 2003):
>>>
>>> The system is going down to maintenance mode NOW!
>>> [root at localhost root]#
>>> ---
>>>
>>> on the screen of the remote machine I see:
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Telling INIT to go to single user mode.
>>> INIT: Going sigle user
>>> INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
>>> INIT: Sending pocesses the KILL signal
>>> sh-2.05b#
>>> ---
>>>
>>> What should I check?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Salvio
>>>

>> According to the shutdown man page, the default action is to go into
>> single user mode (runlevel 1). Use the -r flag to reboot or the -h flag
>> to halt the system.
>>

> --

-         Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?        -