[OT] Myths Debunked [Was Re: Repost: Hardware Compatibility List]

Exile In Paradise exile at weylan-yutani.com
Wed Dec 10 22:07:19 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 09:17, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 00:34, Exile In Paradise wrote:
> > With Windows consuming 92% of the machines out there
>
> I challenge this "truth" and call it a myth!

I would take it up with Google who is publishing the numbers I quoted:
http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html

Check out "Operating Systems Used To Access Google - Sept 2003" graph
Since the 2002 Zeitgeist, the combine M$ horde has lost a percentage
point. Personally, thats good news to me :) And, the 2002 numbers are up
there somewhere as well.

I quote them because it seems as accurate an accounting as anything else
someone could come up with.

Oh yeah, I do know that people with privoxy and other methods can
obscure the request headers their browsers provide that are being used
to calculate this.

A LOT of people (like managers and such) can look at something simple
like the Google pie chart there (and all the others like it published by
analysis groups, etc) and use it to justify their Windows only support
stances.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news, just don't let 1% get you
down... my boxen are all in the 5% other count since I don't pass
browser strings around with OS signatures in them.

I might though, just to pump up the numbers for Linux in places like
this and other website traffic analysis logs.

> Depending on whom you trust, statistics (which can only be accounted
> reliably on software sales) tell that GNU/Linux is used on the desktop
> either 1% more or less that Apple MacOS.

According to Google... 2% less :)
Keep in mind that I heard Apple's 3% market was roughly the same market
BMW has in its space, so thats not BAD...

Which would put Linux in the category of only being slightly less
"driven" around than BMWs are on the road ;)

> Now, I know that for every disc set I had I installed GNU/Linux on
> several machines, and made copies for many people.

Sure, and not all of those are desktops surfing Google.

But, I can't count what I can't see, so I am only going by population
willing to be counted.
--
Exile In Paradise
Be valiant, but not too venturous.