Re; Graphical Boot

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Dec 10 22:48:20 UTC 2003

M.Hockings wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Rob Park wrote:

>>> I noticed the same problem. It freaked me right out, I thought it had
>>> hung or something, until I switched VTs and saw what was happening.
>>

>> There is a spot on the boot screen where you can click and get the
>> good ol' text startup screen displayed.  It's up to you which you
>> prefer.
>>
>> Me, I'm old school.  I like to SEE what's happening.  I was very ticked
>> off when front panel LEDs went the way of the dodo.  Yes, I'm an old
>> PDP/VAX/S370/Altair/IMSAI guy.  Hey, I used to bitswitch in my own
>> boot loaders back in the day!
>> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>> - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>> -                                                                    -
>> -   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
>> -              just very picky of who its friends are!               -
>>
> Wow, Rick I'm impressed -  if you you like LEDs and switches you GOTTA
> be a good guy!

Or just really, really old! :-P

> Last night I was rummaging through some boxes to find a switch to fix
> something and came across an old 8008 (yes, that is typed right)
> computer made by DEC with front panel switches (in octal) to load it
> with and lots of lights.

An 8008-based machine or one with 8008 in it's name (e.g. the old PDP8,
which was a 12-bit machine)?  I don't recall a DEC 8008-based machine
unless it was one of the original proof-of-concept things prior to the
mistake called the Rainbow.  Let's see...MITS made the Altair 8800,
IMSAI made the IMSAI 8080...Polymorphic made the Poly 88...oh, I could
go on and on...

>                              The power supply used to have the bypass
> transistor sitting in a bowl of water because I could not afford a
> heatsink and a fan to keep it cool enough.  Brings back some memories...

In my case, nightmares!  I've been down the plastic-bag-and-water or
5-gallon-bucket-of-transformer-oil road myself, so I feel your pain. :-D

> Ahhh, but I digress, back to my Fedora machines that have a lowly power
> indicating LED.

Well, at least mine have disk activity LEDs, too.

Here at the office we have a thing I made, just to be silly, since some
of our clients refuse to believe they're computers unless they have
blinking lights.  It's a bunch of LEDs on various timing circuits.  We
call it the "ULD" (useless LED display).

> Kind regards,
>
> Mike
>

> --

- Treat each day as if it's your last...a lot of crying and whining  -
-      usually gets you what you want!              -- Sam Sledge    -