how bleeding edge will the next fedora release be?

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 11 03:12:19 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Preston Crawford wrote:
> From: Jason Malone
>
> > Nope.  You could always buy RedHat.
> don't want to go RHEL route and spend hundreds of dollars every
> years when I'm not an enterprise user.
> As I see it, there is no clear path for a developer on a budget
> other than to use Fedora. That's why I hope Fedora remains
> relatively stable.

Cost of software as a ratio against hardware matters.  I recently
assembled a 'worthy' machine for about $300.  Red Hat Enterprise
Linux ES Basic Edition with Management Service costs $222.50/year
for 1 system which is a mismatch in my mind.

There are reals costs to RH and others so I know that they must
charge something.  One real cost is bandwidth another is simply
the book keeping to cash a $20.00 check.

This brave new world demands some inventive solutions where cost
of software/hardware-cost results in a number that can stay at or
below 10%.

Now if I could only get the price of my ISP down!

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48 -a*t- yahoo-dot-com