how bleeding edge will the next fedora release be?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Dec 11 04:09:47 UTC 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Simon Windsor wrote:

> Hi
>
> So long as Redhat/Fedora initially test all new packages in 'testing'
> for a few weeks before general release I don't mind.
>
> If I want a stable system, go for Debian. I have Debian on three servers
> for that very reason, but for a fun desktop, Fedora looks fine! I only
> hope that this project has the momentum to go forward.

I would like to see enough stability to reliably run commercial software
that is vetted for RHES/RHEW, at least in some sort of compatibility mode.

Other than that, I think it's reasonable for Fedora's main line to run the
latest *stable* releases of packages.  Real bleeding-edge stuff belongs in
testing and unstable sections of repositories, so they can be tried out by
brave volunteers.  Those of us trying to do useful work need at least a
reasonable level of stability.  The Fedora main line is designed for
"developers and enthusiasts", but it should not be just a toy.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu