how bleeding edge will the next fedora release be?

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Thu Dec 11 17:04:44 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 08:38, Karl DeBisschop wrote:
> To repeat, fedora will generally not use beta software. For instance,
> Gnome 2.4 will probably be in FC2 because 2.6 is not expected to be
> stable by then.

You mean the 2.4 kernel, right? Yeah, I understand that. The problem
isn't what I know Fedora to be. The problem is what others on this list
seem to think it should be or want it to be or how they want us to use
it. Does this kind of badgering happen on the Debian community lists?

> It might help you to look at the archive on the fedora development list
> to see how many 'wishlist' items are being discarded because they will
> not be out of beta on the FC2 timeline.

No need to. I understand what Fedora is about. That's why I went with
it. I didn't ask the original question. I simply opined that I hoped it
stayed relatively stable.

> Preston, I really do think you can continue to be comforatble with
> Fedora. It sounds very much like what you are looking for.

It is.

> It seems that this thread has gotten a little complex, and maybe a
> little emotional. If I remember some of your earlier post, you started

It's gotten emotional because someone is essentially saying I'm being a
leech if I don't run beta software or buy RHEL. If that's the
polarization of the product line then I will look elsewhere.

> with the question will fedora be bleeding edge. I think the answer is
> no, and I think that is well documented at the fedora site.

No, not my question. I just responded.

> Also, you regretted that as a fedora user, it was now harder to throw
> RedHat some modest fee when the time seemed right. I second that
> feeling. I might just go out and buy a box set to send the cash their
> way, even if I don't use it. Or maybe an RHEL every few years.

I have thought about that. More to the point, when people asked me at my
company what to use I suggested RH. My company now uses RH on 7 or 8
different servers because of me. So I'll do my part, in part, by being
familiar with and thus recommending the product (which is what I thought
part of the goal of Fedora was). So I'll do my part, even if certain
members of this list don't think I am pulling me weight (which I wasn't
even aware was required).

> something else. But I think from the RH point of view, if every user
> just contributed one well thought out bug report or RFE with a patch,
> they by doing pretty well by the open source model. From that point of
> view, the challenge is not to live on the bleeding edge, but to craft
> bugzilla submissions so RedHat can use them to efficiently drive their
> development forward. (And, since Fedora emphasizes upstrem bug fixes,
> this appies to any included prohject, not just to the fedora
> distribution alone.

I think this all sounds very reasonable and hopefully this is how most
people think.

Preston