Was: Re: We need a good and simple hardware database for Free Software users. - now it SAVAGE

Alexandre Strube surak at surak.eti.br
Fri Dec 12 01:49:23 UTC 2003

Em Dom, 2003-12-07 às 15:42, J.B. Nicholson-Owens escreveu:
> Exile In Paradise wrote:
(.... flamewar snip)

All of this is nice... Ati, Nvidia, ok. But there's one manufacturer
which RELEASED an open-source driver and no one cared about: it's via/s3
and their savage ddr chips.

"Why could you care about such an inferior card?" some may ask.

Well, I live in brazil. An ati radeon 9800 can cost as much as an old
motorcycle (well, my sister lives in usa and sell her car for less than
it).

So what? So almost every desktop computer (those used in offices, not
the kid's one, which DEMANDS running counter strike @ 3000 fps) is
shipped with those on-board cards. And most of it are these savages. I
have three, to speak for myself. And, of 20 computers I manage on only
one of my customers, 16 has it also. The same happens on most of my
customers.

VIA released a open-source version of its opengl-enabled savage driver.
No one gives a cent... Yeah right, it was done for an older version of
mesa and xfree, but its way better than anything.

The answer to my inquiries about porting it to a recent linux distro on
linux-video and redhat-xfree86 was not only ignored, but something like
"no one is interested on it - if you want it, go and port it for
yourself". I would, if I knew how.

Well, just for you to know, if you are going to install a system with a
savage video board, remember to ctrl-alt-"-", because it will always
start with a wrong video mode. Was this way on rh9, the same on fedora.

Or be smart and buy a $10 voodoo on ebay.. Because someone was
interested on it some time ago.

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group