x86-64 and FC1

Pete pete at putzin.net
Fri Dec 12 17:47:35 UTC 2003

On Friday 12 December 2003 11:22 am, Mark Lane wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 10:05, Pete wrote:
> > Has anyone tried to get this running on an Asus K8V? I downloaded the
> > x86-64 tree from duke (thanks to those who did this, the effort is much
> > appreciated), which was easy enough, but unfortunately, I have two SATA
> > drives in ATA mode (no need for raid on my desktop), which the default
> > kernel doesn't see. I really think I have two options here, one is to
> > wait for a kernel to be created that has the Promise driver and is
> > included as an update, or to hack it a bit.
>
> Well I wouldn't use the Promise (Promise Controllers suck). The VIA SATA
> that is in the chipset is much better. Though you probably won't be able
> to installed to it. Best bet is to install on a IDE drive and then
> compile a 2.6 Kernel. It seems to have better support for the via
> chipset though the drivers now have been backported to 2.4.23.

Promise chip lives on the MB, so I can't avoid it. I've been using the
controller pretty steadily for about a month (combo 32bit Win and 64bit
Mandrake) without issue though despite how much everyone seems to hate
Promise. I'd like to switch to fedora as I'm not so infatuated with the
current x86-64 Mandrake (first time using drake), and I really like my FC on
my laptop. What I really want is a 64 bit Slack distro, but alas, that's not
gonna happen tomorrow, so I'll try this route. I've got time to play, and new
hardware to play with, so I'm gonna play.