Compiling kernel with 'make rpm'

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Dec 12 18:54:18 UTC 2003

d. Taylor Singletary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've compiled a new version of the kernel using 'make rpm', however I am
> nervous about rebooting, as the rpm -i did not create an initrd file.
> What is the best way to create one? I've run man initrd but it only
> spoke of initrd in the context of a device, rather than the creation of
> the file itself.
>
> Any help would be very appreciated.

     cd /boot
     mkinitrd -v initrd-kernelversion.img kernelversion

replacing "kernelversion" with the actual version of the NEW kernel,
e.g.

     mkinitrd -v initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
-      Cuteness can be overcome through sufficient bastardry         -
-                                         --Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes   -