x86-64 and FC1

Gareth Bult Gareth at Bult.co.uk
Fri Dec 12 19:36:45 UTC 2003

Ok,

Without wishing to start a flame war, Promise controllers on Linux
generally work well.
(although I couldn't vouch for their RAID controllers)

Two or three IDE Promise controllers works fine together, and with one
disk per channel
they make a fantastic (and VERY reliable) software RAID setup. I've run
many systems this
way over many years. (on both Linux and NT!)

(I have an SX4000 in the next room with 800Gb on RAID 5 - very quick,
very cheap, never
had a problem with it)

As far as the SATA (or SATAN as I now call it) is concerned, FC1 doesn't
support it, however
(as a matter of Interest) Mandrake 9.2 RC1 for amd64 does (!) and it
installs and runs Ok.
(which is more than you can say for the rest of the Mandrake distro ...
don't!!)

If you compile 2.6-test11 with SATA inline (it seems to be less happy as
a module (!)) then
this works fine on FC1. (the problem you have is getting to a point
where you can compile it)

Once I've finished messing around I'll see if I can produce a native
boot.iso for the ASUS boards
with working SATA and a 2.6 kernel ...

HTH
Gareth.