Was: Re: We need a good and simple hardware database for Free Software users. - now it SAVAGE

Exile In Paradise exile at weylan-yutani.com
Fri Dec 12 21:08:49 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 19:49, Alexandre Strube wrote:
> Em Dom, 2003-12-07 às 15:42, J.B. Nicholson-Owens escreveu:
> > Exile In Paradise wrote:
> (.... flamewar snip)
>
> All of this is nice... Ati, Nvidia, ok. But there's one manufacturer
> which RELEASED an open-source driver and no one cared about: it's via/s3
> and their savage ddr chips.

Excellent!

That's exactly the kind of information we need to have in a hardware
list.

There is no way one person can keep up with all of the possible
manufacturers out there... but a card like this might really fit
someone's bill. I am assuming here that it would be great in an old box
that was going to be primarily a web/email terminal or some other use.

Linux is very nice for being able to recycle older hardware into true
usefulness, and paying attention to older cards is by no means a waste
of time in this regard.... or for having nicer capabilities in single
purpose boxes like firewalls.

Thanks!
--
Exile In Paradise