antivir - net-tools - trojan horse

David S. Johnson dsjohnson at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 13 06:07:04 UTC 2003

Olaf Mueller wrote:

>Hello,
>
>checking my filesystem with antivir (H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH,
>AntiVir / Linux Version 2.0.9-6, VDF version: 6.23.0.9 created 12 Dec
>2003) runs into the following alert. Antivir says that the files
>/usr/share/locale/<pt_BR,fr,de,cs>/LC_MESSAGES/net-tools.mo are
>infected with trojan horse "TR/HackToolX.RK.1".
>
>So I get a fresh RPM file "net-tools-1.60-20.1" from
>http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=net-tools,
>extract one of the net-tools.mo files from RPM and checked it with
>antivir. And I was very surpriesed to see that antivir found in this
>new rpm- file a trojan horse too!

I can't speak for the rpm you found on rpmfind.net, but if you get the
package of the same name from fedora.redhat.com using yum, it should be
clean.  I have this installed on my system.  I scanned the directories
you indicated using F-Prot, and mine came up clean.

   "Oh scholar, if your scholarship benefits not Mankind,
    you deserve not admiration but contempt." -- Kahlil Gibran