hot laptop

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Dec 13 06:23:55 UTC 2003

Michael P. Soulier wrote:

>On 12/12/03 Jim Cornette did say:
>

>>cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/*
>>
>>gives the below output for my machine.
>>
>>cooling mode:            active
>><polling disabled>
>>state:                   ok
>>temperature:             44 C
>>critical (S5):           100 C
>>passive:                 97 C: tc1=4 tc2=3 tsp=40 devices=0xcf6b6d80
>>

>My cooling mode didn't show as active, and the laptop got up to 59 C and
>seems to keep rising. Is there a way to tell it to start cooling?
>
>Mike

I'm past my area of knowledge on this problem also. I remember people
usig echo and set to activate and deactivate devices by changig the
logic level.

lsmod had these consecutive modules related to acpi and temperature in
my setup. I have ac and battery loaded in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

I hope that you get the fan to start cutting on to cool as needed. It
works great for me. But I did little to get it functioning properly. The
kernel developers did the heavy lifting with initscripts and other
needed utilities.

Did you check bugzilla for similar problems with cooling?

Jim

thermal                 8032   0  (unused)
processor              10584   0  [thermal]
fan                     2240   0  (unused)
button                  3500   0  (unused)
battery                 6848   0  (unused)
asus_acpi               9596   0
ac                      2528   0  (unused)