cdrom: open failed while installing software

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 13 10:01:08 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, John Cox wrote:
> I just installed Fedora a couple of days ago (NEWBIE) and today when I
> tried to install KDE and a few other things Using the GNOME desktop
> software installer,
> I did the original install with this drive so I'm confused....well,
> being a newbie I feel  confused anyway but can somebody help me with this?

Try it again but when you insert or change CDROMS watch the drive
LED and give the system time to detect and mount it.  It should
blink a number of times, get sort of busy then quiet down.  For
me this commonly takes 10-30 seconds; then click.

If I get in a rush I can click OK as quick as the drive begins to
close. Some times this causes an error that does not seem to
clear.  Perhaps I queue too many retries and confuse the
application.

Also clean up the desktop so that tiny dialog boxes do not get
hidden under another window.  I have found 'click to retry' boxes
days later ;-).  It is useful to slide windows about and check
for these little guys some times.  Some applications are terrible
in how they manage them.  I would iconify a window for a slow
process activity and when uniconified the message box would be
displayed under the big window (hidden).

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48 -a*t- yahoo-dot-com