How do list threads work for MIME digest?

David Cornish mail at davidcornish.com
Sat Dec 13 12:09:50 UTC 2003

> Are the threads held together based on the text of the subject line or
> is there some magic in the header  that makes it work?

Every message has a unique message ID, so if you have a look at the source of
your message, you will find a header which says
When replying to individual messages, the mail client adds a header
In-Reply-To which quotes that message ID.  Have a look at the headers for
this message, and you'll see this header with the message-ID above.  This way
mail clients know how to do the threading.  Some mail software tries to be
clever and work with the subject lines and attempt to decide if it is a
reply, but in essence threading depends upon the In-Reply-To field.

> The reason I ask is that I get  the MIME digest and if all that is
> required to maintain a thread is the subject line--no problem but If
> there is some kind of non-subject line tracking involved,  how do I
> reply from a digest.?

How you can reply from such a MIME digest and maintain threading, I'm afraid I
don't know.

David