Loosing Connection To subnet

Peter Eddy petere at atg.com
Sat Dec 13 17:27:06 UTC 2003

McKeever Chris wrote:

> # route
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
> 192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
> 127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
> default         router-1201.pru 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

yeah, pretty hard to go wrong with that, assuming your router routes to
the subnet in question.

> When/if this happens again, is there anything that I should run/check to maybe pinpoint what is going on?

You might try pinging the machine in question from a machine on the
unreachable subnet. Other than that, I don't know. I guess you could run
'arp' to see if there are any machines on that subnet in the cache, and
check /var/log/messages for anything interesting.

One more thing, have you tried replacing the ethernet cable or using a
different port on the hub?

Peter