Stopping sound module removal

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Mon Dec 15 09:59:53 UTC 2003

On Friday 12 December 2003 23:42, Scott Fones wrote:
> Hi all, I was just reading some forums on various linux sites and one
> explained a recurring problem that I have with sound.  When I start-up, the
> sound works fine and the correct driver is installed, but when I come back
> after a prolonged period of time it no longer works.  I found the
> explanation that RedHat distro's search every ten minutes for inactive
> modules, in this case sound, and remove them.  Also that they are supposed
> to reactivate automatically, but for some reason, the sound doesn't.  What
> file do I need to alter, and how do I alter it, to stop it from removing
> the sound module?  Thank you all in advance.
>
> Scott
AFIK the script (can not find it in my system no) will not remove modules
not marked for autoclean-ing, so you can:
1. insmod them from /etc/rc.d/rc.local and do not add autoclean option (-k --autoclean)
2. check /etc/modules.conf to see exacyly what sound modules should be loaded
3. run kudzu/sndconfig
4. see where is this script (/etc/cron*)

The problem can be related to arts/esd also, not to the modules - do you
use gnome/kde, which aplication stops playing?

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev