FC1 Hanging on install

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Tue Dec 16 01:21:15 UTC 2003

Rick Stevens wrote:

> M.Hockings wrote:
>
>> Chris Adams wrote:

>>> What hardware?
>>>

>> The original note is below.  The hard drive is a Quantum.
>>
>>> I'm trying to install FC1 but it is hanging just after the CD check
>>> screen.  I have tried both noprobe and skipddc install options as
>>> well as removing the lan card but no action has yet caused any joy.
>>> Is there something else I can try?
>>>
>>> This is using a Mercury 1GigaPro board and an old 6G hard drive.
>>> The CD and CD reader have been used successfully in other FC1 installs.
>>>
>>> This is the board:
>>> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=565416&Sku=K13-1000&CatId=181
>>

> Just for giggles, can you try adding "noapic" to the boot line?  You
> may have a mungled APIC BIOS.  You might also try "nousb" and
> "nofirewire" (or a combo of those).
> -      To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the OS       -

Thanks Steven, Rick,

I managed to get it going with a text install (maybe it was just a
timing thing).  A second machine with the same setup (motherboard,
processor & case) but different hard drive installed with no problems!

Whatever the cause I have both machines up and running FC1 !

Kind regards,

Mike