redhat-config-xfree86 enhancement?

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Tue Dec 16 17:42:31 UTC 2003

It would be nice if this s/w caught the error happening when the current
configuration is out of range for the monitor, and offer to wipe out the
config file and start over.

It's not unusual for people to use one monitor when setting up a box and
another monitor when deploying, in our case it took a few minutes to
realize that deleting the /etc/X11/XF86Config was required to get
r-c-xfree86 to do the right thing.

I suppose it would be really neat to detect that X is failing
altogether, and offer to wipe (or back up the config) and start the
config automagically, but perhaps such a thing is for another day.