redhat-config-xfree86 enhancement?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 17 02:33:52 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 18:39, John McBride wrote:
> William Hooper wrote:
> > John McBride  said:
> >

> >>It's just one of those annoying things that Microsoft handles better, I
> >>guess. At least MS gives you something, a low res gui and a means to get
> >>to the configurator, without having to resort to the command line.
> >

> > Nope, sorry.  I know from experience that Microsoft will do the same
> > thing, generally under the same situation.  Try setting an LCD panel
> > (connected to a KVM that doesn't pass the info) to a resolution higher
> > than it supports.
> >

> The same guy who built this fedora box builds about 10 windows boxes the
> same way every week.
>
> He builds up the system using a display on his desk, then unplugs the
> box and carries it to the destination cube and plugs in a flat panel
> display. Same model displays on each end, different OS.
>
> He gets a gui from MS windows, and can reconfigure to the new display.
---
sounds like a kickstart opportunity if I ever saw one.

otherwise...
login: root
password: <type root password>
redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig

OK - so momentarily, you don't get pretty screen to look at when you
reconfigure X-Windows for different screen and you have to type one
sentence instead of clicking your way through things.

The best thing about open source is that you can add value to the system
by writing the program which solves the problem instead of just sitting
back and whining.

Craig