Is this a solution to duplicate emails?

T. Ribbrock emgaron at gmx.net
Wed Dec 17 20:09:09 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 09:55:22AM -0500, Chris A Czerwinski wrote:
[...]
> Is that another reason you would want to receive mail in PLAIN TEXT and
> not HTML. What about attachments?

No, that's entirely independent. fetchmail+procmail as "mail delivery
agent" (MDA) are completely 'transparent', i.e. the format of the mail
(txt, html, attachments) doesn't matter. procmail *can* filter on both
header information as well as the body when told to do so (default is
only header for performance reasons). Of course, procmail can also be
taught to redirect HTML mails to /dev/null ;-) It could also be used to
strip html or attachments from the mail, though I haven't used that yet.
What I *have* done in the past is to use procmail plus some external
program to reformat mails (in my case from Sun's 'mailtool' format to
proper MIME format), so things like that are possible as well. It's a
very powerful (and hence complex) tool - and very handy... :-)

Cheerio,

Thomas