NO BOOT!!! NT loader

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Wed Dec 17 20:58:56 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 13:39, Sean Stagg wrote:
> Would you suggest that I do a clean install again or just upgrade and use
> GRUB on MBR of hda (that's correct, right?) Also, I shouldn't mess around
> with the advanced settings then as well? (Me=Paranoid Newbie)

No need to reinstall. Boot to Linux, setup your grub.conf file
(/etc/grub.conf) and run "grub-install /dev/hda"

your grub.conf should look something like this

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,1)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdc3
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hdc
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux (2.6.0-test11)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.0-test11 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.6.0-test11.img

title WinXP for AMD64
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

Where (hd0,0) would correspond to the XP boot partition on hda.
And (hd1,0) would refer to your Linux boot partition on hdb.

regards,

Mark Lane, CET	mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd.	http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771 	F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--