rpm --nodeps vs. yum/apt

Clif Smith fedora at cjs226.com
Thu Dec 18 05:28:54 UTC 2003

This is a little off topic as I'm dealing with Redhat 2.1AS in this
scenario, but please read on.  If I have all of the rpm's as well as the
rpm's they depend on that I want to install to tailor and/or upgrade a
base install, is there any reason why I shouldn't do a rpm --nodeps vs.
letting yum or apt handle dependencies?  Here's my scenario - I build
systems to QA my company's software.  In doing so, I need to be able to
build systems using the exact versions of software we support.  So, I
keep all rpms I install and/or upgrade in a share per each release of
our software.  Currently, I just do a rpm --Uvh --nodeps to allow the
packages to be installed, knowing I'm installing the necessary
dependants, but possibly not in the "correct" order.