up2date: automatic vs. manual

Steven Stern sds-email-list at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 18 17:13:07 UTC 2003

When I run up2date normally from a root login, it works. However, it gets run
by some process (anacron?) at various times during the day. Each invocation
puts the following in /var/log/up2date.  I have to conclude that the automatic
invocation is using a different sources file than the manual run uses.  Where
should I be looking to fix this?

Note: The system was upgraded from RH9 to Fedora.

[Thu Dec 18 05:43:37 2003] up2date Error communicating with server. The
message was:

Error Message:
    Your account does not have access to any channels matching (release='1',
arch='i686-redhat-linux')
If you have a registration number, please register with it first at
http://www.redhat.com/apps/activate/ and then try again.
Error Class Code: 19
Error Class Info: Architecture and OS version combination is not supported.
Explanation:
     An error has occurred while processing your request. If this problem
     persists please enter a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com.
     If you choose to submit the bug report, please be sure to include
     details of what you were trying to do when this error occurred and
     details on how to reproduce this problem.

The /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file is:

### this describes the various package repos up2date will look into
### for packages. It currently supports apt-rpm repos, yum repos,
### and "dir" repos

### format is one repo entry per line, # starts comments, the
### first word on each line is the type of repo.

### the defalt rhn (using "default" as the url means
### use the one in the up2date config file
#up2date default

### When a channel-label is required for the non up2date repo's,
### the label is soley used as an internal identifier and is not
### based on the url or any other info from the repo.

### an apt style repo, this time arjanv's 2.6 kernel repo
### format is:
### type  channel-label      service:server         path        repo name

#apt arjan-2.6-kernel-i386 http://people.redhat.com ~arjanv/2.5/ kernel

### Note that for apt repos, there can be multiple repo names specificed
### space seperated.

### an yum style repo
### format:
### type  channel-label     url

yum fedora-core-1 http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-1
yum updates-released http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-1
#yum updates-testing http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-1

### an local directory full of packages
### format
#dir my-favorite-rpms-i386-9 /var/spool/RPMS/

# multiple versions of all repos except "up2date" can be used. Depenencies
# can be resolved "cross-repo" if need be.