Suggestions on One-Time Mailing

Don dnrlinux at san.rr.com
Thu Dec 18 21:17:37 UTC 2003

>Brad Kittredge wrote:
>>
>> How about using using aliases?  It works beautifully for smaller lists.
>> I've never used 400, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.
>>
>> If you have a comma delimited list of addresses, you could just paste
>> them into /etc/aliases in this form:
>>
>> alias_name: name at address1.com, name at address2.com, ...
>>
>> You must run "newaliases" after you edit the file, then just send one
>> email to aliases at yourmailhost and all the defined addresses get it.
>>
>> man aliases
>>

>If you do take this approach, I recommend sending to: your email and
>bcc: to the alias name. This way if anyone does a reply-to-all it won't
>cause a massive reply explosion to everyone on the list.

Not to mention that nobody wants to receive a message that shows all 400
recipients in the To: portion.... :-)

Or does alias processing only put the recipients in the RCPT TO: SMTP header
and NOT in the To: RFC822 header... that would be ideal. Thinking about it a
little more, this makes sense, so even if somebody did a "reply to all", it
wouldn't get far unless the new sender also had the same alias defined.

Let's say I define an alias AllMyFriends: f1 at h1, f2 at h2...

and I send a note to AllMyFriends

The SMTP headers will look like...
RCPT TO: <f1 at h1>
RCPT TO: <f2 at h2>
DATA
Subject: A message for all my friends
To: AllMyFriends

So the message delivered doesn't have the entire distribution list enclosed
anywhere.. the SMTP headers are not sent to the end client.